Lubsko’s first written record dates back to 1283, as the town was mentioned in Henry Dostojny’s parchment. Dostojny, Miśnia and Luzyce’s margrave referred to it as civium nostrorum de Sommerfeltd.
Henry Dostojny’s law regulated economical and legal issues which were important to the town. Moreover, according to the experts, it might be considered as a foundation privilege. It was written in Latin, issued in Drezno on September 20.
The document allows for supposition that in those days Lubsko was a significant and fortified economic centre in the area of Lower Luzyce.
The fact that the structure of authority changed so often in the course of history had a considerable impact on the town. The town was governed by the Piast Dynasty, Misnia margraves, Czech kings, German kings and emperors, and elective rulers of Brandenburg. From 1543 to 1808 Lubsko was governed by individual proprietors.
Churches from the XV century are located in the villages: Chocicz, Dłuzek, Lutol. Buildings partially destroyed like palaces, manor houses, towers are recognized in the villages: Osiek, Gorzyn, Tuchola. The town of Lubsko is situated on the river Lubsza in Wroclawsko – Glogowska proglacial stream valley in the south – east part of the lubuskie province. The town is placed on the cross-roads Zielona Góra-Zasieki-Forst and Zary-Gubin, about 30 kilometers away from border crossing points: in Olszyna and Gubin, in the vicinity of the raods no. 287 and no. 289. Central-European time is measured according to the meridian, which obelisk is located on the road Lubsko-¯ary, towards the motorway A4 Wrocław-Berlin .
The land of the community and its surroundings were formed by the glacier, which shaped many of beautiful lakes that appeared afterwards. The community lays on 183 km² (the area of the town is 13 km²) and administrates 18 villages. The town along with 18 villages create an independent governmental unit with 28 localities:Dluzek; Dluzek Colony; Chelm Zarski; Tarnow; Ziebikowo; Mierkow; Dabrowa; Osiek; Raszyn; Tymienice 1,2,3; Kalek; Gorzyn; Gozdno; Chocicz; Chocimek; Mokra; Malwice; Lutol; Janowice; Stara Woda 1,2; Bialkow; Nowiniec; Tuchola Zarska (Mala and Duza)
The town possesses its own water intake, gas supply, sewage discharge. The town’s economical infrastructure is created by various companies, chains of shops, services. There are additional instytutions: ambulance service, community health center, private physician’s and dentist’s offices, pharmacies, primary schools, secondary schools, high schools, preschools, public library, community center. A monthly magazine of Lubsko “Magazyn Lubski” has been published since 1991. The town and the community are a member of the Euroregion Sprewa-Nysa-Bóbr. The image of the town is delineated by its inhabitants. A number of people of culture, church, and science are connected with Lubsko. A great poet of Renaissance Jan Rak was born in Lubsko , known as Rhagius Aesticampianus Lusatus Rheto et Poeta Laureata, the son of a draper from Lubsko. A winner of the Nobel Prize in the field of medicine professor Gerhard Domagk, lived and attended to schools in Lubsko in the late 20. In 1858 Augustyna Wiktoria was born in the castle in Dluzek, the daughter of prince Szlezwiku-Holsztyn, the wife of the last emperor of Germany Wilhelm Hohenzollerna. The town has been cooperating from many years with the town of Vlotho in Germany (1992), Helsinge in Denmark (1996), since March 2000 with the town of Forst (Lausitz) in Germany and Brody in Poland, since 2008 Pawłograd (Ukraine), since 2017 Masny (France).